If there’s only thing life constantly throws at us, it’s change!
It often occurs when we least expect it and can take us by surprise. Especially when it’s the end or start of a relationship! Sometimes when emotions are running high and life is in a state of upheaval, it’s easy to overlook some of the more practical things that need taking care of.
So, here’s a bit of a check-list of things you might have missed when adding or moving on from a life partner…
- Have you updated the beneficiaries of your superannuation fund? (this stays outside of your estate and isn’t usually dealt with by your Will.)
- Have you updated your Will and Powers of Attorney? Or Guardians for the children?
- Do you need to review your Life Insurance and beneficiaries?
- Is it time to provide for you,… reviewing or establishing Trauma cover?
- Does your Income Protection need updating?
- Have you reviewed ownership of any joint investments and debt?
- Have you removed or added secondary owners on credit or store cards?
- Do your mobile phones bills need separating?
- Are you guarantor for any personal or corporate loans?
- Do you need to review any arrangements for family trusts or companies?
- Does your health insurance need review?
- Do your utility bills need amending?
- Do your banking arrangements need revision – removing or adding signatories to accounts?
- Do you need to let the school know changes to custody for the kids?
- Do you need to review and choose new service providers like your accountant or adviser or lawyer?
- Have you let everyone know your new contact details?
With so much going on it’s easy to overlook some items on the list. Or have you been through this change yourself? Let us know if there’s anything we’ve missed! There’s bound to be more!